Альтернативный текст

Robbie Williams Forum | Feelfine Stranger. Добро пожаловать на главный форум Робби Уильямса в России!

Информация о пользователе

Привет, Гость! Войдите или зарегистрируйтесь.

Альбом 'Life Thru A Lens' (1997)

Сообщений 61 страница 66 из 66

https://www.onthisdayinpop.com/2021/07/ … -1997.html

Robbie Williams - Life Thru A Lens (1997)

Original UK release date: 29th September 1997
UK album chart peak: Number 1

What was great about Robbie Williams debut was that, upon leaving Take That, you had no idea what direction he was going to head into. The summer of 1996 saw Robbie bleach his hair, hanging out with the likes of Oasis while going to festivals and generally doing all the things that good boy (and ex-boy) banders should *not* do. But Robbie was never one to play by the rule books and his debut album, Life Thru A Lens, was our first foray into finding out what that cavalier, renegade attitude could yield. It may have all started in the summer of 1996 with a song that didn't even end up on the album (a cover of George Michael's Freedom '90), but just eighteen months later he was one of the biggest solo stars in the land. It may have been a slow burn to the stratospheric success he experienced in the latter months of 1997 and early months of 1998, but the clues were all there to his song writing expertise and knack for an earworm in each subsequent single. Looking back, its a fascinating transition from ex-boy bander to fully fledged enduring popstar...

Freedom ~
as noted, Freedom wasn't on Life Thru A Lens and now seems to be somewhat of a forgotten footnote in Robbie history (though it did appear on his 2010 greatest hits). In hindsight there seemed to be an element of rush to the project, Robbie needing to get something out to remind the world Gary Barlow wasn't the only viable solo star from Take That. Robbie himself mentioned much later that the whole project was so rushed he had to mime to George Michael's original vocal when filming the video (as his wasn't complete yet). Despite that, the song was a great choice for an interim single; sure it wasn't in the main musical direction of his debut but George's lyrics about liberating yourself from how you've been perceived in the past suited Robbie perfectly. The instrumental was pretty faithful to the original - but, with a sizeable fan base, some great Arthur Baker remixes and a 2-CD single package, the single shot to number 2. Robbie had arrived, but the best had yet to come...

Old Before I Die ~
there had been such a rush in camps Williams and Barlow to get a first solo single out that it took 9 months for both ex-Take Thatters to come back with the first single proper from their debut albums. Robbie took a bold new musical route with the Brit-pop sound of Old Before I Die. Definitely a departure from the dance-pop and balladry of his boy band days, the single introduced a swaggering, confident new style that definitely felt influenced by his palling around with Oasis. That's not to say it wasn't brimming with the personality and verve of Robbie who seemed utterly at home in his newly fitted rock-pop persona. He delivered every line with a panache that has since defined his solo output - gripping the listener from start to finish. It worked much better as a debut single and was no surprise that it stomped into the charts at number two). With 4 brand new b-sides across two CD singles, it also started off the highly collectible nature of single releases.

Lazy Days ~
the second single from the opus came exactly 3 months after Old Before I Die (the perfect pop promotion model) and - generating necessary column inches - was released on the same day as Gary Barlow's So Help Me Girl. Lazy Days was actually a great summer time single, an easy breezy tune initially written by Guy Chambers for his group Lemon Trees but re-written with Robbie to inject into it a little more of his own style. It definitely felt as much as an anthem as Old Before I Die (with a bit of a nod to Hey Jude in the outro); and while top ten success is nothing to be sniffed at, I'm pretty sure Robbie/the label were hoping for higher than number 8. It was certainly aligned to the chart trends of the time, though perhaps a more relaxed promo schedule (because of a stint in rehab) contributed to this. Notable is a bonus track on the CD single indicating an early love of the classics that would later redefine his career; a cover of the Cole Porter gem, Every Time We Say Goodbye...

South Of The Border ~
of course the lowest charting single from the as-yet-to-released album was also my favourite of Robbie's solo moments so far. Apparently this was a last minute switch for single choice which is why the video doesn't always feel aligned to the song. Didn't matter to me - it felt like Robbie really found his groove with this song, blending crunchy indie-pop with stadium sing-along sensibilities. For a song about losing the plot after moving from his home of Stoke-on-Trent to London, it is incredibly taut and satisfying. Plus, with his new shaved head he just looked and sounded more relaxed in his new-ish solo pop star status. The garage and house remixes were some of his finest club mixes to date and deserved as much mainstream radio play as the single version. Sadly the song "only" made number 14 which was considered a flop by pop media and the speculation that his career was over began (but ended just a few weeks later)...

Look more closely at Life Thru A Lens when we celebrate the 25th anniversary of the album on 29th September 2022

окончание

Angels ~
talk about a sleeper smash! When Life Thrus A Lens was released, it debuted at a disappointing 11 and spent just four weeks on the album charts before disappearing altogether. That really could have been the end of a career that, instead, blossomed and endured for 25 years. The turning point was radio stations starting to pick up on Angels and playing it ahead of its release in early December 1997. It was just one of those songs that caught the public imagination in a way that meant this heartfelt-but-never-saccharine ballad lingered on the charts for weeks (in a run rarely seen in the UK for singles not associated with movies). The radio buzz was such that it debuted in the top ten, lingered there all over the competitive Christmas chart period and finally rose to its peak of number four in an incredible 11th week in the top 10. It also rocketed the parent album into the top 10 (for an astonishing 40 consecutive week stay) and established Mr Williams as the newly crowned UK King of Pop.

Let Me Entertain You ~
the choice to make Let Me Entertain You the album's final single was an inspired one. Angels pretty much refused to leave the chart or radio playlists so Robbie needed something that would grab your attention instantly and provide a new burst of energy. Let Me Entertain You did just that. With its swaggering Who meet Kiss style stadium anthem approach, the song sizzled with crackling electricity that was tangible from first word to last note. While there had been a variety of musical styles demonstrated across the singles released from Life Thru A Lens, it is notable that his two biggest hits came from complete opposite ends of the spectrum. It showed his diversity of his range and helped him move from ex-boy bander to megastar status. This was a huge top 3 hit and remains the song he opens most of his concerts with. Entertain us? We're enthralled.

Posted 18 hours ago by Myfizzypop

https://i.imgur.com/0vltk89.png

https://i.imgur.com/2RcQvOA.png

£65.99

Shipping from: Dec 02, 2022

This product is currently on pre-order and will be dispatched in line with the release date.  To celebrate the 25th anniversary of Robbie Williams’ multi-million selling solo debut album ‘Life Thru A Lens’ (originally released in September 1997 in the UK) UMC / Island Records are releasing a new expanded Deluxe Edition on 4CD set on 2nd December 2022.

It brings together the original chart topping album with bonus tracks and B-Sides from the five singles lifted from it, along with tracks associated with Robbie’s (non-album) debut single ‘Freedom’ (UK No. 2, August 1996). The third disc contains previously unreleased demo recordings, alongside rehearsal recordings and rare remixes.

Disc 4 contains a first release on audio format for the complete concert recorded at the Forum in north London on 3 June 1998, released that November as ‘Live In Your Living Room’ on VHS tape and VCD but never reissued.

Original reviews of the album described it as “smart, sharp and prickling with personality” (NME), “actually rather fantastic”, (Time Out) and “raucous stompers, trembling epics and full-throated roaring all the way” (Smash Hits).

CD1 - Life Thru A Lens: The Original Album

Lazy Days
Life Thru A Lens
Ego A Go Go
Angels
South Of The Border
Old Before I Die
One Of God's Better People
Let Me Entertain You
Killing Me
Clean
Baby Girl Window
(silence)
Hello Sir (hidden track)

CD2 - Life On The Flipside; B-Sides and Bonus Tracks

Freedom (from 'Freedom', CD Single 1, July 1996)
Better Days (from 'Old Before I Die' , CD Single 1, April 1997)
Average B-Side (from 'Old Before I Die' , CD Single 1, April 1997)
Making Plans For Nigel (from 'Old Before I Die', CD Single 2, April 1997)
Kooks (from 'Old Before I Die', CD Single 2, April 1997)
Teenage Millionaire (from 'Lazy Days', CD Single 1, July 1997)
Falling In Bed (Again) (from 'Lazy Days', CD Single 1, July 1997)
She Makes Me High (from 'Lazy Days', CD Single 2, July 1997)
Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye (from 'Lazy Days', CD Single 2, July 1997)
Lazy Days (Original Version) (from 'Millennium', CD Single 2, September 1998)
Cheap Love Song (from 'South Of The Border', CD Single 1, September 1997)
Walk This Sleigh (from 'Angels', CD Single 1, December 1997)
Karaoke Overkill (from 'Angels', CD Single 2, December 1997)
Get the Joke (from 'Angels', CD Single 2, December 1997)
Angels (acoustic version) (from 'Angels', CD Single 2, December 1997)
Angels (Spanish Version) (from 'The Ego Has Landed' (South America Editions). April 1999)
Let Me Entertain You (Full Length Version) (from 'Let Me Entertain You' CD Single 2, March 1998)
Medley Of Songs From The Motion Picture Soundtrack 'The Full Monty' (from 'Let Me Entertain You' , CD Single 1, March 1998)
I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind Of Thing (from 'Let Me Entertain You' , CD Single 1, March 1998)
I Am The (Res)erection (from 'Let Me Entertain You' , CD Single 1, March 1998)

CD3 - Work In Progress: The Making of Life Thru A Lens

Freedom (Ambient Mix) (July 1996 Promo Release)
Freedom (New Sound Dub) (July 1996 Promo Release)
Hey Little Girl (Axis Studios Demo, October / November 1996)
Clean (working title Mr. Sheen) (Axis Studios Demo, October / November 1996)
Old Before I Die (Crescent Moon Studios Demo, October 1996)
Lazy Days (Tower Studios Demo, January 1997)
Angels (Tower Studios Demo, January 1997)
Red Lights (Tower Studios Demo, January 1997)
Average B-Side (Westside Studios Demo, February 1997)
Teenage Millionaire (Rehearsal Recording, Spring 1997)
South of the Border (Rehearsal Recording, Spring 1997)
Killing Me Rehearsal (Rehearsal Recording, Spring 1997)
Life Thru A Lens Rehearsal (Rehearsal Recording, Spring 1997)
South of the Border (Mother's Milkin' It Mix)
Let Me Entertain You (The Bizzaro Mix)

CD4 - Life On The Stage

Let Me Entertain You (Live at The Forum, London 3 June 1998)
I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind Of Thing (Live at The Forum, London 3 June 1998)
Clean (Live at The Forum, London 3 June 1998)
South Of The Border (Live at The Forum, London 3 June 1998)
Average 'B' Side (Live at The Forum, London 3 June 1998)
Baby Girl Window (Live at The Forum, London 3 June 1998)
One Of God's Better People (Live at The Forum, London 3 June 1998)
There She Goes (Live at The Forum, London 3 June 1998)
Killing Me (Live at The Forum, London 3 June 1998)
Life Thru A Lens (Live at The Forum, London 3 June 1998)
Teenage Millionaire (Live at The Forum, London 3 June 1998)
Lazy Days (Live at The Forum, London 3 June 1998)
Ego A Go Go (Live at The Forum, London 3 June 1998)
Old Before I Die (Live at The Forum, London 3 June 1998)
Angels (Live at The Forum, London 3 June 1998)
Back For Good (Live at The Forum, London 3 June 1998)

https://i.imgur.com/9HVM3ex.png

https://i.imgur.com/7evnGHz.png

https://i.imgur.com/BguiTrz.png

https://i.imgur.com/Ko1OPKP.png

https://i.imgur.com/eTBHlF1.png

https://i.imgur.com/SyHNMq3.png

https://i.imgur.com/ZHf47kV.png

https://robbiewilliams.com/pages/life-thru-...b8PlECJOg%3D%3D

https://robbiewilliams.com/collections/music

Old Before I Die (Crescent Moon Studios Demo, October 1996) · Robbie Williams

Life Thru A Lens

℗ An Island Records recording; ℗ 2022 Universal Music Operations Limited

Released on: 2022-10-21

Associated  Performer, Vocals: Robbie Williams
Producer: Desmond Child
Studio  Personnel, Engineer: Charles Dye
Studio  Personnel, Asst.  Recording  Engineer: Marcelo Añez
Composer: Robbie Williams
Composer: Desmond Child
Composer: Eric Bazilian

Life Thru A Lens (Rehearsal Recording, Spring 1997) · Robbie Williams

Life Thru A Lens

℗ 2022 Universal Island Records, a division of Universal Music Operations Limited

Released on: 2022-10-21

Producer: Guy Chambers
Composer  Lyricist: Robbie Williams
Composer  Lyricist: Guy Chambers

South Of The Border (Rehearsal Recording, Spring 1997) · Robbie Williams

Life Thru A Lens

℗ 1997 Universal Island Records, a division of Universal Music Operations Limited

Released on: 2022-11-04

Producer: Guy Chambers
Composer  Lyricist: Robbie Williams
Composer  Lyricist: Guy Chambers

RED LIGHTS
[Verse]
Red Lights are only advisory
Cos green lights are flashing inside of me
I have to fight to ride the time in me
Can you see the private lives in me
[Pre-Chorus]
Blessed from above
And the path I choose is rough
It's so hard being hated when all you want to do is...
[Verse]
Time for truth cos lies have broken me
Fear dies, there’s only hope for me
I know luck cos the lady that’s stroking me
Can only pray for the man I’m supposed to be
[Pre-Chorus]
Blessed from above and the path I choose is rough
It’s so hard being hated when all you wanna do is ...
[Chorus]
Love, love, love
All you've got to do is love
[Verse]
When fate now deals you a slow hand
All you've got to do is get up and go now
God shows you he's running the show man
How do you get to being so low man
[Pre-Chorus]
Blessed from above
And the path I choose is rough
It's so hard being hated when all you want to do is...
[Chorus]
Love, love, love
All you've got to do is love
[Bridge]
She protects me now
And she is good
She sees me like I wish you would
She is honest now
She is true
She’s the complete opposite of you
[Chorus]
And she gives love, love, love, love